Tuesday 22 April 2008

Noodle Soup 麵湯


I am in need of some comfort food. It's not winter yet but it's getting pretty cold these days. The gloomy sky and non-stop rain are making me depressed, and so more when coupled with a headache and cold.

A steaming hot bowl of noodle soup will make me very happy now. But, sigh.. there's no more noodles left, I can only make do with my leftover chicken curry rice from last night.

So here's sharing with you my version of noodle soup that makes it to my top 3 ultimate comfort food.

Ingredients
Noodles of your choice
Pork slices, marinated with soy sauce and corn flour
Prawns, deveined and cleaned
1 bunch choy sum or baby bok choy
Egg
Salt to taste

Soup stock
Half bowl ikan bilis (anchovies)
Half bowl soy beans
1 tsp oil
Water

Method
To make the soup, heat oil in a pot and stir-fry ikan bilis for about 30 seconds til brown and fragrant. Add soy beans and four bowls of hot water, bring it to boil and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes. Discard ikan bilis and soy beans. Keep stock for use later.

Meanwhile, set a pot of water to boil, cook noodles in boiling water till al-dente. Remember not to over-cook it.

Bring the stock to boil again, add pork slices, followed by egg and prawns. Add the noodles and choy sum last. All the ingredients cook fairly quickly so it should be ready in about 3-4 minutes. Add salt to taste.

Garnish with fried shallots and spring onions if desired. Serve with cut chili and minced garlic in soy sauce.

Note
- Some of my fav noodles are mee sua, mee huen kueh, and "you mian". I used Beijing noodles this time, which is somewhat similar to the "you mian" back home.

- I prefer to cook noodles separately to prevent the soup from getting cloudy and thick. I like my soup clear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comfort food for any occasion, especially on rainy, cold days.

Do you make your own Mee Huen Kueh? My Mom used to make that for us.

Mummy B said...

I have helped my mom in making the mee huen kueh back home, but I have not attempted it on my own. I like it with Mani chai/kau kei choy. Have you tried the mee huen kueh in its dried version?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mel,
No, I have not tried mee huen kueh in its dried version. The next time you post a photo of that (and Kau Kei Choy), send me a note, OK?

Thanks :)

Mummy B said...

Dear Lee Ping

You can see the pic of kau kei choy in this post ->
http://wedbee.blogspot.com/2008/01/dinner-pronto.html

Look at pic 5 (noodle soup) & 8 (vegetable soup).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin