Saturday 7 June 2008

Salmon Sashimi Don サーモン丼


We went yum cha with friends at Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Restaurant today. Who will expect to find a yum cha restaurant at Sydney Fish Market (SFM)? I certainly didn't but I am so glad I joined! The food and service at Fisherman's Wharf are comparable to Zilver, if not better.

I'll talk about my yum cha experience another day. I'm going to share with you our dinner tonight, which is also B's favourite - Salmon Sashimi Don.

You see after our yum cha session this afternoon, we decided to buy some fish and seafood before heading home. Trips to SFM are not complete without buying some seafood and sashimi home. My shopping today include half kg of seafood marinara mix for $10.90/kg which is so much cheaper than Coles, salmon sashimi for $6.30, a packet of marinated seaweed for $2.50. There is also a fruit and vegetable market there and guess what? They sell Japanese pumpkin for $0.99! Needless to say, I have gotten one and bought a head of cos lettuce ($1.99) for making Caesar salad tomorrow.

I am sounding like an old maid now, excited over cheap and fresh groceries. -__- Let's not deviate from the topic today.

Here's a picture of the sashimi we bought the other time because I have forgotten to take pictures of the salmon I bought today.

Maguro, salmon and toro sashimi - $16.00

Ingredients
1 cup short-grain/sushi rice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1.5 tsp fine sugar
1 tsp salt
1 packet Japanese seaweed
Salmon sashimi
Kikkoman soy sauce
Wasabi

Method
Click here for a detailed recipe on making sushi rice.

Cook rice in a rice cooker. Prepare sushi vinegar by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Microwave the mixture for 10 seconds to dissolve the salt and sugar.

Once rice is cooked, scoop rice into a bowl and lightly fan rice while adding the vinegar mixture over it. Fold the rice gently and be careful not to break the grains.

Arrange sashimi and seaweed on rice. Serve with wasabi and shoyu (soy sauce).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin