Monday 5 October 2009

Seafood Soup 番茄海鮮湯


Been super busy with work, baby, doctor visits, household chores and cooking. That pretty much sum up what I did the past few weeks. It's good to be back at work and learning new things in a new team. At home, I am starting to cook baby food as Bryan is now 6 months old and ready for some semi-solids.

Today I'm sharing a triple tested and tried recipe that started off as a fish soup and after a few experimentations, I added host of other ingredients and it became a one-pot soup meal. You will need some fresh ingredients to make a good seafood soup. I got my seafood from De Costi at Sydney Fish Market. The soup is slightly sour because of the tomatoes and makes it very appetizing, and if you don't eat prawns, just add more fish and vegetables of your choice (tofu, seaweed, enoki mushrooms, etc).

Ingredients (Serve 2-3)
400g fish fillet
6 big prawns, remove shells and deveined
1 squid/calamari, cut into rings
1 small piece ginger, cut into thin strips
5 cloves garlic, chopped
Lettuce leaves
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 piece silken tofu, cubed (optional)
1 small piece dried seaweed (optional)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Cooking oil
3 bowls water
2 bunches coriander (for soup stock)
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method
Add water into a saucepan and bring to boil. Add tomatoes, some ginger and coriander, and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain stock through a colander; retain stock and discard ingredients.

Heat oil in a deep pan, saute garlic and remaining ginger till fragrant. Add seafood and pan fry for 2-3 minutes. Add stock, lettuce leaves, tofu and seaweed into pan. Bring stock back to boil for 1-2 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish soup with coriander leaves. Serve with rice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel, so you did make the soup as you mentioned the other day! :) Forgot to mention this to you that I sometimes does visit your blog for some cooking ideas, I think you do know as I have left a comment before. Hehe.

Just a question to ask here, for this soup, I believe the 1st part is to make the stock for the soup, but why do you discard the ingredient for the tomatoes, is it taste better later on?

Susan.

Mummy B said...

Hello Susan, thanks for visiting my blog! :) yes this is the fish soup I told you last weekend. The prawns were actually the ones we got from Coles. Fish and other seafood were bought from Fish Market.

You can keep the ingredients with the stock if you want. It's just that the tomatoes have melted into the soup and left with only the skin, the coriander stalks and leaves have turned yellow after boiling and didn't look presentable. The soup has all the flavour and I prefer to have a "clear" stock. Just garnish with some fresh coriander leaves before you serve.

Kev and I love this soup. Try it and let me know what you think. :)

I will be posting the recipe for baked pumpkin soon. I have baked it several times and today I added some bacon we bought last week. I used the baking tray we got from Ikea too.

smook said...

Hi Mel, I have tried this the other day, thx very much. But I didnt have coriander, tofu and calamari in the kitchen at that time. I used 2 scallops instead, Chow does like it, me too, but not Jaeger, I do not know why, may be its because I couldnt cook well, :p We finished the whole pot. Chow said its a bit like the stock for homestyle steamboat. :)

Cheers,
Susan

Mummy B said...

I am glad you guys like the soup. Yeah it's kinda like steamboat stock eh? :) Just add whatever ingredients that you have on hand or you like. Fish is the main ingredient so the rest of the items are secondary.

Could it be that kids don't like the taste of ginger? With this dish, I always chopped some garlic and chili with soy sauce to go with the fish.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin