Monday 23 November 2009

Scrambled Egg with Tomato 蕃茄炒蛋/西红柿炒蛋


This is another simple and homely Chinese dish that takes little time to prepare and cook. Tomato and egg may sound like a strange combination but this is a common Pekinese dish and one of the first that children learn to make at an early age.

It's inexpensive yet nutritious, my comfort food during my postgraduate days when I was still a poor overseas student. I am not from China, but being brought up in a multi-cultural environment has exposed us to food from different regions. This was one of my favorite dishes growing up as a kid. I have always known that it's Chinese but I only came to know about its origin last year during the Beijing Olympics.

As a busy working mum having to balance the time between so many commitments, this dish is my dinner saviour when I come home late or at times when I get all stressed up with a cranky naughty boy.

So there you go, another simple dinner meal of the B's family. What's your dinner saviour? Do you have one? Please feel free to share any tips and cooking ideas... I would love to know. :)

Ingredients
2 riped tomatoes, sliced
3 eggs, beaten
2 stalks spring onion, chopped (separate white from green)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sasame oil
Cooking oil

Method
Crack eggs in a bowl, add a tiny pinch of salt and sesame oil and beat eggs with a pair of chopsticks. Heat three tablespoons of oil in a wok or a deep frying pan till medium hot, pour in beaten egg and stir fry for 5 seconds. The egg will be a bit wobbly and runny. Remove egg and set aside.

Heat up another tablespoon of oil and saute garlic and the spring onion (the white parts) till fragrant. Add the tomato slices and stir fry for about 2 minutes and the tomato juice will start to flow. Stir in soy sauce and sugar. Reduce the heat and return the egg. Gently mix the egg with the tomatoes. Garnish with green onion before serving.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin